Biographical information from ATP. Unless noted otherwise all data as of year-end 2011.
- Began playing at age four
- Mother, Gisela, is German and a housewife; father, Awie (pronounced Arvie), is Indonesian and a chemist
- Parents met at a German university in early 1970s
- Has one sister, Aileen (two years younger)
- His favorite soccer team 1. FC Koln is from Cologne and enjoys a variety of food such as Indonesian, Chinese (dim sum), Italian, Greek
- At age 17, captured German national indoor junior championships and shortly after was invited with three other players to join Mercedes-Benz junior team
- Now trains in Cologne with Austrian Alexander Peya
- Considers quickness as his strength and best shot his crosscourt forehand (along with backhand down line)
- Favorite surface is hard courts
- Growing up he admired quickness of Michael Chang, groundstrokes of Andre Agassi and mental toughness of Boris Becker (used to practice with him)
- Coached by countryman Klaus Langenbach (since 1997) and also works with former ATP pro Karsten Braasch.
Return to > Players > B > Bjorn Phau Profile (Biography) (Bjorn Phau Pictures)