Biographical information from ATP. Unless noted otherwise all data as of year-end 2013.
- Full name is Guillermo Ignacio Canas
- Began playing tennis at age seven
- Nicknamed “Willy” by his English-speaking peers
- Enjoyed an outstanding junior career, reached QF at Wimbledon in 1995 and finished No. 18 in singles in final junior world rankings
- Enjoys watching and playing soccer and considers Argentina’s 1986 World Cup title his most thrilling sports moment
- Growing up admired countryman Guillermo Vilas and says “I would love to be as famous as Vilas is in our country.”
- Likes watching cartoons on Cartoon Network and his favorite show is “The Simpsons”
- Considers forehand as best shot
- In July 2001, was one of nine guests to appear on an Argentine game show and won a car, which he gave to his mother
- Has a 9-5 career Davis Cup record (5-2 in singles) in 11 ties since 1998
- Named ATP Comeback Player of Year in 2001 after coming back from a wrist injury previous year (improved from 227 to No. 15)
- Fitness trainer is Fernando Cao and coached by countryman and former ATP pro Gaston Etlis (since October 2006).
Return to > Players > G > Guillermo Canas Profile (Biography) (Quotes) (Guillermo Canas Pictures)