Biographical information from ATP. Unless noted otherwise all data as of year-end 2013.
- Began playing tennis at age six by hitting hours and hours against the wall of family’s house until his parents took him to a tennis court
- Father, Gert, is an industrial project manager; mother, Jenneke, is a housewife; has one younger brother, Roel
- As a youth, played soccer, volleyball and basketball
- Childhood heroes were Stefan Edberg and Boris Becker
- Enjoyed an outstanding junior career, finishing No. 5 in singles and No. 18 in doubles in 1995 world junior rankings
- European 18s champion and winner of World Youth Cup
- Reached singles SF at Wimbledon and US Open juniors and captured Roland Garros junior doubles title (w/Sluiter) in 1995
- Considers serve as best shot and favorite surfaces are carpet and hard
- Has superstitions of not stepping on lines between points and using same shower after a match
- Has a 2-3 career Davis Cup record in two ties
- Coached by Hugo Ekker (since September 2001).
Return to > Players > P > Peter Wessels Profile (Biography)