Biographical information from ATP. Unless noted otherwise all data as of year-end 2013.
- Full name is Somdev Kishore Devvarman
- Grew up near Chennai before attending University of Virginia from 2005-08
- Earned a sociology degree in May 2008 and turned pro that summer
- Captured NCAA singles title in back-to-back seasons in 2007 (d. Georgia's John Isner) and 2008 (d. Tennessee's J.P. Smith) and All-American honours both times
- Enjoys music of Dave Matthews band and plays music himself
- Member of India's Davis Cup team
- In October 2010, he won the singles gold medal at the Commonwealth Games in Delhi with a 64 62 win over Australian Greg Jones
- In November 2010, he became the first player since Japan's Toshiro Sakai to win singles and doubles gold medals at the Asian Games
- Beat Denis Istomin 61 62 in singles final and partnered Sanam Singh to the doubles title
- In February 2011, he was named Sports Person of the Year with cricketer Sachin Tendulkar in the Sports Illustrated India Annual Awards in Bangalore
- On 20 September 2011, he was presented the Arjuna Award by Indian sports minister Ajay Maken
- He is the first tennis played to be honoured since WTA star Sania Mirza in 2004.
Return to > Players > S > Somdev Devvarman Profile (Biography)