Personal Reasons Pull Henin from Australian Open


Posted on January 4, 2007

SYDNEY, Australia - Due to personal reasons that may or may not be disclosed, Justine Henin-Hardenne has withdrawn from her entire Australian schedule. The world No.1 will not be defending her Medibank International title in Sydney next week and will also be forced to miss the first Grand Slam of the season, the Australian Open, where she was a finalist last year.

"I am withdrawing from the Medibank International in Sydney and the Australian Open in Melbourne for personal family reasons that require my full attention," the Belgian said. "I hope my fans and others are able to understand that because this is a personal matter, I'm not comfortable providing any more detail at this time. If and when the time is right, I will provide additional detail. I thank you all for respecting my privacy at this time and I look forward to getting back on the court as soon as possible."

"Obviously we are very disappointed; Justine is our defending champion and the world No.1," said Medibank International Tournament Director Craig Watson. "I believe she is quite upset and we certainly wish her the best and hope she is able to return to the courts very soon." (WTA)

Rankings
ATP - Aug 18 WTA - Aug 18
1 Novak Djokovic1 Serena Williams
2 Rafael Nadal2 Simona Halep
3 Roger Federer3 Na Li
4 Stan Wawrinka4 Petra Kvitova
5 David Ferrer5 Agnieszka Radwanska
6 Milos Raonic6 Maria Sharapova
7 Tomas Berdych7 Angelique Kerber
8 Grigor Dimitrov8 Eugenie Bouchard
9 Andy Murray9 Ana Ivanovic
10 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga10 Jelena Jankovic
More: Tennis T-Shirts | Tennis Shop | Live Tennis Scores | Headlines

Copyright © 2003-2014 Tennis-X.com. All rights reserved.
This website is an independently operated source of news and information and is not affiliated with any professional organizations.