- Location: Madrid, Spain
- Schedule: Sunday, May 4 - Sunday, May 11
- Begins on: Men's --Sunday, May 4 Women's -- Saturday, May 3
- Draw Size: S-56 D-24
- Surface: Clay
- Prize Money: Men's -- 3,671,405 Women's -- $4,336,397
- Tournament Director: WTA Tournament Director: Manolo Santana
- Official Website: www.madrid-open.com/
- TV Schedule / Madrid Live Streaming
- About: From the hardcourts, to the red to the blue and now back to the red, it's been quite a journey already for the Madrid Masters under tournament impresario Ion Tiriac. After a controversial 2012 played on the blue clay, the tournament and the players welcome the return of the traditional red to Spain's biggest tennis event. But the altitude remains an issue and the weather can get inclement, but life in the Magic Box is often pleasent. The mixed field again includes the best and the brightest tennis has to offer with Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray, Serena Williams, Maria Sharapova and of course favorite son Rafael Nadal. Vamos!
Do you like Madrid?
|Former Men's Madrid Tennis Champions:
2012 Roger Federer
2011 Novak Djokovic
2010 Rafael Nadal
2009 Roger Federer
2008 Andy Murray
2007 David Nalbandian
2006 Roger Federer
2005 Rafael Nadal
2004 Marat Safin
2003 Juan Carlos Ferrero
2002 Andre Agassi
The latest Madrid tournament news:
- Kvitova, Stephens Make Ugly Exits at French Open; Williams Sisters Saturday
- Friday was a 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 winner over Japan's Naomi Osaka. Stosur only won two games off Halep weeks ago in Madrid. "I'm not going to think too much about that, why I fell apart, I'm not going to lose too much sleep over tha...
- Serena Williams Wins, Watches Path Get Easier at French Open; Angelique Kerber Out
- le, and outlasted the German 6-2, 3-6, 6-3. Kerber's confidence in Paris wasn't apparent after early exits in Madrid and Rome, then pulling out of Nurnberg.
"I came here to play round by round, and I know that you must play...
- Muguruza, Seeds Stretched on Cold, Windy Day at French Open; Serena, Venus Tuesday
- er Carina Witthoeft.
"I feel more confident now playing on clay court," Halep said. "I had good matches in Madrid. The title is really important for me -- it means a lot...Everyone can see that I play aggressive, I play my ...
- Roger Federer Hasn't Withdrawn From The French Open, He Practiced Today
- practice session Wednesday in Paris.
That doesn't mean Federer, who has been battling a back injury since Madrid, won't play the event. But for now, he's still in.
Keep calm and... WAIT, @rogerfederer has arrived! He’...
- What Is Wrong With Novak Djokovic?
- er all, he had just swept Indian Wells and Miami, so he was due for a break.
Djokovic returned to take the Madrid title over Andy Murray, losing just one set, that to the Scot. Order was restored. Djokovic was back on track...
- Wozniacki Joins Sharapova, Growing List to Miss French Open
The last two weeks have been forgettable for the top seeds on the WTA tour as most made early exits in Madrid and Rome. Unseeded Dominika Cibulkova made the Madrid final, and unseeded Madison Keys the Rome final as the ...
- Keys Can't Unlock Rome Title as Serena Williams Ends Trophy Drought
- be consistent and make my shots."
It was Williams' first red clay event of the year after withdrawing from Madrid citing illness.
In the semifinals Williams beat Irina-Camelia Begu, and Keys downed Garbine Muguruza, both...
- Is Birthday Boy Andy Murray Finally Ready To End Novak Djokovic's Run In Rome? Who's The Pick?
- cantly has won 12 of the last 13 against Murray, taking four straight including a 3-set win a week ago in the Madrid final.
The Madrid conditions and court were more favorable for Murray than Djokovic, but Novak still came ...