- Location: Madrid, Spain
- Schedule: Sunday, May 4 - Sunday, May 11
- Begins on: Men's --Sunday, May 4 Women's -- Saturday, May 3
- Draw Size: S-56 D-24
- Surface: Clay
- Prize Money: Men's -- 3,671,405 Women's -- $4,336,397
- Tournament Director: WTA Tournament Director: Manolo Santana
- Official Website: www.madrid-open.com/
- TV Schedule / Madrid Live Streaming
- About: From the hardcourts, to the red to the blue and now back to the red, it's been quite a journey already for the Madrid Masters under tournament impresario Ion Tiriac. After a controversial 2012 played on the blue clay, the tournament and the players welcome the return of the traditional red to Spain's biggest tennis event. But the altitude remains an issue and the weather can get inclement, but life in the Magic Box is often pleasent. The mixed field again includes the best and the brightest tennis has to offer with Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray, Serena Williams, Maria Sharapova and of course favorite son Rafael Nadal. Vamos!
Do you like Madrid?
|Former Men's Madrid Tennis Champions:
2012 Roger Federer
2011 Novak Djokovic
2010 Rafael Nadal
2009 Roger Federer
2008 Andy Murray
2007 David Nalbandian
2006 Roger Federer
2005 Rafael Nadal
2004 Marat Safin
2003 Juan Carlos Ferrero
2002 Andre Agassi
The latest Madrid tournament news:
- Roger Federer: Novak, Andy And Rafa Will Be Tough To Beat At Wimbledon
- egrets once I came here.
I was ready to play in Paris. I just didn't feel ready to go yet, to come back in Madrid or Rome. When I decided that with the team, I got on the clay, sort of a couple weeks before the French Open,...
- Rafael Nadal Enjoys Easiest Road Ever To French Open Semifinals
- eat Rafa this year on the clay.
"Thiem is a tough player. I hope that I won't lose. I won in Barcelona and Madrid, but I lost to him in Rome," Nadal said. "If I play well, I hope that I will be able to book my spot in the f...
- Tennis Capsules: Wawrinka, Stosur, More Win ATP/WTA Titles Heading Into French
- in career finals.
The Dutchwoman has slowly found her form entering Roland Garros after a quarterfinal at Madrid, a semifinal at Rome, and the Nurnberger title.
Wawrinka Gets On Board with 1st 2017 Title at Geneva
- Dominic Thiem: I Now Feel Like I Belong In The Top 10
- inally feels like he belongs among the elite. And his results lately back it up reaching the Masters final in Madrid and Barcelona then beating Rafael Nadal en route to the Rome semifinals.
"At the beginning you feel also q...
- Muguruza v Schiavone 1st Rd., Kvitova Returns; French Open Preview
- a, Magdalena Rybarikova, Saisai Zheng
Notes: Upset alert for (2) Pliskov vs. Zheng, who upset Svitolina in Madrid...Other tough starts for (20) Barbora Strycova vs. Riske (winner to meet the French upset specialist Cornet),...
- Halep Hobbled Mid-Match, Svitolina Steals WTA Rome Title
- way in the third set.
With coach Darren Cahill looking on, it was a step back for Halep, who last week won Madrid and bragged about her newfound mental strength after earlier in the year breaking with Cahill when the coach ...
- Djokovic Tames Thiem, Will Meet Zverev In Rome Final
- reak into the Top 15 and he's now won 12 of his last 13 matches, losing only to Pablo Cuevas last week in the Madrid quarterfinals.
Isner had enjoyed a terrific week beating the likes of former Grand Slam champions Stan Waw...
- Terrific Thiem Topples Nadal, Awaits Rain-Delayed Djokovic-DelPo Winner In Rome SF
- and he broke Nadal three times. He had lost two clay finals already this year to Rafa including Sunday in the Madrid final, so revenge was oh so sweet.
"I came in with a very aggressive game style, because I knew that if I ...