Madrid Tennis - 2014 Mutua Madrid Open
- Location: Madrid, Spain
- Schedule: Sunday, May 4 - Sunday, May 11
- Begins on: Men's --Sunday, May 4 Women's -- Saturday, May 3
- Draw Size: S-56 D-24
- Surface: Clay
- Prize Money: Men's -- 3,671,405 Women's -- $4,336,397
- Tournament Director: WTA Tournament Director: Manolo Santana
- Official Website: www.madrid-open.com/
- TV Schedule / Madrid Live Streaming
- About: From the hardcourts, to the red to the blue and now back to the red, it's been quite a journey already for the Madrid Masters under tournament impresario Ion Tiriac. After a controversial 2012 played on the blue clay, the tournament and the players welcome the return of the traditional red to Spain's biggest tennis event. But the altitude remains an issue and the weather can get inclement, but life in the Magic Box is often pleasent. The mixed field again includes the best and the brightest tennis has to offer with Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray, Serena Williams, Maria Sharapova and of course favorite son Rafael Nadal. Vamos!
Do you like Madrid?
|Former Men's Madrid Tennis Champions:
2012 Roger Federer
2011 Novak Djokovic
2010 Rafael Nadal
2009 Roger Federer
2008 Andy Murray
2007 David Nalbandian
2006 Roger Federer
2005 Rafael Nadal
2004 Marat Safin
2003 Juan Carlos Ferrero
2002 Andre Agassi
The latest Madrid tournament news:
- Stan the Grand Slam Man: Australian Open Reaction
- wo of his four opponents were ranked well outside the top 100. He did reach a Masters final, also on clay, in Madrid, falling to the King of Clay himself, Rafael Nadal. So in a way, Wawrinka’s first major championship at...
- Rafael Nadal: I'm Very Happy I Played My Best Match Of The Tournament Against Roger Tonight
- oblems in my career.
2006 I didn't had the chance to play for the injury on the feet at the end of 2005 in Madrid. I remember 2010 and '11. 2010 I think was against Andy I had to retire because of a problem in the knee; 2...
- Rafael Nadal Wins Marca's "Legend Award", Named Greatest Spanish Athlete Of All-Time [Video]
- wing a 2-week exhibition circuit, Rafael Nadal was honored by media outlet Marca with their "Legend Award" in Madrid Tuesday night.
Selected by readers, the award crowns Nadal as the greatest Spanish athlete of all-time.
- Roger Federer Admits He's "Rattled At Times" By His Inconsistent Level Of Play
- must also make the point we have lost another Masters 1000 on indoors. Used to be in Stuttgart, used to be in Madrid indoors. Now we're playing Shanghai outdoors," he added. "But I truly believe the World Tour Finals should st...
- Rafael Nadal: I Don't Like Playing Indoors
- . 1 ranking this week, has won 60 ATP titles in his career, but only two have come indoors: 2013 Brazil, 2005 Madrid.
In his fall indoor debut yesterday, Nadal also said it wasn't his best performance, but he's use to winni...
- Watch Rafael Nadal Running In The Airport Trying To Catch His Flight To Beijing [Video]
- Rafael Nadal very nearly missed his flight to Beijing (via Madrid) earlier this week on Wednesday. Leaving from his home in Mallorca, the recent US Open champion is seen walking quite briskly to get the to ticket counter.
- Back Surgery Might End Andy Murray's 2013 Season
- and Queen's, but otherwise the only Top 20 win he's had off grass the last six months is over Gilles Simon at Madrid.
Most recently Stan Wawrinka dusted him pretty good at the US Open a few weeks ago.
With Murray all but...
- Down 2-1, Serbia Leans On Djokovic To Keep Davis Cup Hopes Alive; Czechs Await Winner
- anek (CZE) v Leonardo Mayer (ARG)
WORLD GROUP PLAY-OFFS
SPAIN defeated UKRAINE 3-0
Venue: Caja Magica, Madrid, ESP (clay – outdoor)
Fernando Verdasco (ESP) d. Alexandr Dolgopolov (UKR) 36 64 64 62
Rafael Nadal (...