Madrid Tennis - 2014 Mutua Madrid Open
- Location: Madrid, Spain
- Schedule: Sunday, May 4 - Sunday, May 11
- Begins on: Men's --Sunday, May 4 Women's -- Saturday, May 3
- Draw Size: S-56 D-24
- Surface: Clay
- Prize Money: Men's -- 3,671,405 Women's -- $4,336,397
- Tournament Director: WTA Tournament Director: Manolo Santana
- Official Website: www.madrid-open.com/
- TV Schedule / Madrid Live Streaming
- About: From the hardcourts, to the red to the blue and now back to the red, it's been quite a journey already for the Madrid Masters under tournament impresario Ion Tiriac. After a controversial 2012 played on the blue clay, the tournament and the players welcome the return of the traditional red to Spain's biggest tennis event. But the altitude remains an issue and the weather can get inclement, but life in the Magic Box is often pleasent. The mixed field again includes the best and the brightest tennis has to offer with Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray, Serena Williams, Maria Sharapova and of course favorite son Rafael Nadal. Vamos!
Do you like Madrid?
|Former Men's Madrid Tennis Champions:
2012 Roger Federer
2011 Novak Djokovic
2010 Rafael Nadal
2009 Roger Federer
2008 Andy Murray
2007 David Nalbandian
2006 Roger Federer
2005 Rafael Nadal
2004 Marat Safin
2003 Juan Carlos Ferrero
2002 Andre Agassi
The latest Madrid tournament news:
- Kei Nishikori: "I Have A Lot Of Confidence On Clay Right Now"
- ikori. The 25-year-old broke through a year ago winning in Barcelona then nearly stunning Rafael Nadal in the Madrid final before a back injury ended his title hopes.
Nishikori then did one better, dismissing Novak Djokovic...
- Murray Sails Into French Open 2nd RD, Stays Perfect On Clay; Djokovic, Nadal On Court Tuesday
- first round of the French Open.
Murray, a 2-time French Open semifinalist and recent winner of Munich and Madrid, felt he did well against a tough Argentine opponent.
"It was definitely tricky," Murray said. "I think he...
- Federer Has More Issues Off Court Than On It In French Open Win; Sharapova, Murray Monday
- US Open, it was not that easy for me against him," Federer said. "He plays well. I think he defeated Gaël in Madrid. Is that correct? A very long match, I think. Drawn-out match. So he's good. He's skilled."
Not long after...
- Roger Federer: No, Rafael Nadal Should Not Have Been Seeded Higher
- n this surface early on. Then, you know, you move forward from there. Went to Istanbul with Severin, and also Madrid and Rome, which went well for me considering. So I'm in good shape, but it's just important that we see each ...
- Sharapova Outlasts Gassed Suarez Navarro in WTA Rome Final
- urt appearances under her belt in the run-up to Roland Garros, losing in the first round at Stuttgart, and in Madrid stopped in the semifinals by fellow Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova.
On Sunday at the Italian Open Sharapova w...
- The Fall Of Rafael Nadal Continues; Federer, Djokovic Rome Final In Play
- this recent run.
Nadal's final pre-French leadup:
Monte Carlo SF (Djokovic)
Barcelona 2nd RD (Fognini)
Madrid F (Murray)
Rome QF (Wawrinka)
All losses in straight sets and none of losses had any positives you could ...
- Sharapova, Halep One Match from Blockbuster Rome Final
- day semifinals will face No. 10 seed Carla Suarez Navarro, who was an upset winner Friday over No. 4 seed and Madrid winner Petra Kvitova 6-3, 6-2.
"I played really solid today and sometimes aggressive, which is very import...
- 7 of Top 8 in Men's Quarters; Murray, Serena Duck Out at Rome
- citing elbow pain and the desire to be 100 percent for Roland Garros.
"It actually started a little bit in Madrid last week," Williams said. "I wasn't serving my best. I have to be able to serve and hit my shots with a lot ...