Defending champion Rafael Nadal has been forced to withdraw from the AEGON Championships in Queen’s Club London, which begins on Monday.
Nadal, the current World No.1 and reigning Wimbledon champion who was stunned by Robin Soderling last Sunday at the French Open, is struggling with ongoing knee problems and has been advised to rest by doctors.
“I am very disappointed to not be able to come this year to Queen’s, defend the title I won last year and enjoy playing there in front of the very knowledgeable British crowds,” said Nadal.
“To play in London has always been special for me, to play at The Queen’s Club is an honour and the fans in the UK are among the best I have ever seen, always supporting me since the first time I played there. I have been having some problems in the past months with my knees, that’s no secret, that did not allow me to compete always at 100%. I need to work with my team to recover well, work on my physical condition to be at my top form and get ready for the grass to play at Wimbledon. I hope I can be ready to compete by then. I am really sorry and I hope that the people at the tournament will still want me to come next year.”
The Spaniard has been a huge hit at The Queen’s Club over the past three years, on each occasion arriving at the tournament the day after winning the French Open. Last year, he went on to win the title, and then completed a historic treble with victory in a Wimbledon final regarded as the greatest of all time.
Also Check Out:
Rafael Nadal Withdraws From Paris For “Personal Reasons”, Will He Have Appendix Surgery Next Week?
Rafael Nadal Withdraws from Paris Masters
Nadal, Murray Begin Grass Season at Queen’s Club; Del Potro, Nalbandian Return
Novak Djokovic Withdraws From Madrid Due To Right Wrist Injury
Nadal Says No Mas, Withdraws From Wimbledon