American tennis player Wayne Odesnik is looking at a possible two-year ban after pleading guilty in an Australian court to smuggling human growth hormone (HGH) into the country.
The 24-year-old was found with eight vials each containing six milligrams in his luggage in January when he was en route to play the ATP tournament in Brisbane, then the Australian Open, Australian media reported.
The Australian Associated Press says he was fined 8000 Australian dollars ($7,286) and was ordered to pay court costs.
“For possession there’s a possible two-year ban,” a spokeswoman for the International Tennis Federation said. “We know the court hearing is over and we now await a report to be sent to our Tennis Anti-Doping Program. Until then we can’t provide any further comment.”
Odesnik reached a career-high ranking of No. 77 in April last year.
“Now that the civil case is concluded, the Tennis Anti-Doping Program will being an investigation, as we would in any doping case,” said ITF head of communications Barbara Travers, speaking to local media. “We don’t really comment on it once it’s gone into the system. We’ve confirmed that he’s going to be investigated but other than that, we don’t really comment.”
Also Check Out:
Wayne Odesnik Suspended Two Years From Tennis for Doping
Wayne Odesnik Playing Houston This Week
Wayne Odesnik Accepts ‘Voluntary’ Drug Suspension From Tennis
Resurgent Hewitt, Isner, Odesnik Win at ATP Houston
Querrey: ‘I Refuse to Lose’ to Odesnik Saturday in Houston