Rafael Nadal blistered fellow Spaniard Fernando “Hot Sauce” Verdasco 6-0, 6-1 in the Monte Carlo final on Sunday, becoming the first player in Open Era history to win a tournament six years in a row.
Nadal had not won a title in 11 months since Rome of last year, but picks up his game just in time for the claycourt season. The Spaniard lost only 14 games the entire tournament, the fewest of his career at an event.
“For me is very emotional,” Nadal said. “Is probably my favorite tournament. I love this tournament. [To] win here another time is a dream for me. The atmosphere here is unbelievable. I feel like home. No one match during seven years I felt the crowd against me. I just can say thank you very much everybody.”
Verdasco helped his countryman by pulling the choke switch, committing six unforced errors on the first six points.
“If you see the score, [there] is a big difference,” Verdasco said. “But in some games I had some chances to be closer, to make him think a little bit more. But I think that he had unbelievable day and he played really good. I also didn’t maybe have a good day, because I was trying to force and made more mistakes than unusual.”
You Might Like:
Short On Confidence, Rafael Nadal Begins Clay Campaign In Monte Carlo [Video]
Del Potro Withdraws From Monte Carlo; Kyrgios, Gasquet Also Out
Federer Reverses Monte Carlo Decision, Will Take On Nadal
Djokovic Withdraws From Monte Carlo
Hot Sauce Too Spicy for Soderling in ATP Barcelona Final