The enigmatic Ernests Gulbis is never short on words. Speaking in a presser this afternoon following a second round win over Steven Darcis in Delray Beach, the 23-year-old Gulbis revealed that his poor play the last 7-8 months was due to illness and his career clocking is ticking!
“The biggest problem was that I was getting sick all the time,” Gulbis said of his recent slump. “My immune system was very weak.
“So that was the biggest issue [last year].”
He then candidly explained that he only had a few more years left in his tennis career to prove himself, because, according to Ernest, he didn’t want to become like Andre Agassi and still play tennis into his 30s.
“Now I’m 23, If I don’t make nothing of this year, next year, that’s it, my career is over,” Gulbis said. “I’m not the kind of guy who’s going to break his body and everything when I’m 27, 28.
“I don’t want to be like Agassi who started to play when he’s 30. I don’t want to spend all my life running around and warming up, and all the stress. I want to get my career going. Now I’ll do the best I can do until I’m 29 or 30 and then that’s it.”
Gulbis, who won his
first second ATP title last summer in Los Angeles, is in the quarterfinals at Delray Beach where he’ll play Australian qualifier Marinko Matosevic on Friday.
You Might Like:
Ernests Gulbis: ‘I Don’t Care About Money, I Don’t Care About Fame’
Ernests Gulbis: “I Don’t Know if Being Recognized Helps Me at All” [Video]
A Rome Tournament Staffer Harassed Novak Djokovic: “Don’t Try To Be Special, Man!” [Video]
Ernests Gulbis: “My Long-Term Goal In Tennis Isn’t To Be Top 20, It’s To Be No. 1!”
Viktor Troicki Made Even Gulbis Jealous With This Meltdown Today In Rome [Video]