Rafael Nadal has officially announced his withdrawal from the 2012 London Olympics. The Spaniard cited continued issues with his knees as the reason he won’t be able to defend his 2008 Beijing gold.
Via Google translation from the Spanish sports website Marca, Nadal said, “I am not able to compete. It is one of the saddest moments of my career,” the Spaniard said through a statement. “I’m not able to compete in the Olympic Games in London and therefore not be traveling as planned with the Spanish delegation to compete in them. I have to think my colleagues, I can be selfish and I have to think about the good of Spanish sport, especially of Spanish tennis and let me play with a partner who is better prepared to compete. I rushed down to the last moment in my preparation, my training, but has not been. Today is one of the saddest days of my career as one of the greatest illusions and perhaps most special moment was to be the champion of Spain in the opening ceremony of the games in London, so you can imagine how difficult it was to make this decision.”
Nadal had been tabbed to carry Spain’s flag during the opening ceremony, an honor he will also miss.
The 26-year-old lost to Lukas Rosol in the second round at Wimbledon this year. But since withdrew from a Madrid exhibition with Novak Djokovic due to his continued fight against chronic knee tendinitis leading to uncertainty of his Olympic attendance.
The Olympic draw will be held a week from today and set to begin on Saturday, July 28 at Wimbledon. For more, visit our Olympic Tennis Page.
Seeking their first golds, Roger Federer will be the top seed followed by Djokovic and then British hope Andy Murray.
You Might Like:
Rafael Nadal Underwent Multiple MRIs On His Knee During Wimbledon
Caroline Wozniacki Will Carry The Flag For Denmark At The Olympics
Un-Fit Rafael Nadal Withdraws From Toronto
Andy Murray Has Withdrawn From The London Finals
Del Potro, Soderling, Sharapova Withdraw From Tournaments