As if the playing schedule this summer isn’t brutal enough, tennis players are now getting injured by inanimate objects like fire hydrants.
Earlier this week, Top 10er Jo-Wilfried Tsonga went out for a stroll in Toronto and proceeded to walk right into a fire hydrant leaving a laceration that required eight stitches according to the ATP.
Tsonga’s manager confirmed the injury in a statement: “Jo walked into a fire hydrant (sticking out of a building) while walking in the streets, which caused the injury, but his participation at the US Open is not in doubt.”
The Frenchman, however, will miss the Cincinnati event.
Tsonga’s mishap brings to mind other bizarre injuries that have hit the tennis circuit:
More odd injuries in the tennis world
* Kim Clijsters injures her ankle at cousin’s wedding (2011)
* Rafael Nadal burns fingers at Japanese restaurant in Cincinnati (2011)
* Goran Ivanisevic wakes up with a stiff neck forcing him to retire early in Miami final against Agassi (1996)
* Thomas Muster severely injures knee in freak car accident in Miami (1989)
* Serena Williams cuts foot in German bar after Wimbledon (2010)
* Mikhail Youzhny infamously bloodies head with racquet at Miami (2008)
* Andy Murray strains a tendon in his hand while playing PlayStation (2010)
* Martina Hingis falls off a horse injuring her knee requiring surgery (1997)
* Sam Querrey falls through a glass table, seriously gashing arm (2009)
* Andy Murray suffers an injury to his butt while sleeping (2011)
* Victoria Azarenka hits her head at gym workout, suffers a concussion then faints during US Open (2010)
* Tommy Haas steps on a ball during warmup at Wimbledon tearing ankle (2005)
Got any others? Let us know in the comments below.
You Might Like:
Kim Clijsters, Sam Querrey Withdraw From Wimbledon
Three Dead After Fire Breaks Out In Tampa Home Owned By James Blake; Blake Safe [Video]
Rafael Nadal Wet Himself During His Win Last Night Over Stepanek At Indian Wells [Video]
Rafael Nadal: I’m Worried About My Foot Injury
How To Clear A Pool Of Water Off A Clay Court? Light It On Fire! [Video]