Following his big win Sunday, Rafael Nadal’s coach and uncle, Toni Nadal, took some shots at Roger Federer in addition to giving his opinion on several topics focused on his star nephew and his return to tennis.
Via translation, Uncle Toni told the website puntodebreak.com with respect to Rafa’s win over Roger last week, when many said Federer was injured, that his Roger has beaten Rafa many times when his newphew has not been at 100%.
“Federer has won us more than once having Rafael significantly more pain than I think he was in the quarterfinals of Indian Wells,” he said, again via loose Google translation.
Among Uncle Toni’s other words of wisdom:
- He agrees with Carlos Moya that Rafa’s Indian Wells win was almost the same as winning a Grand Slam title.
- He was surprised at how well Rafa has comeback to tennis.
- The fact Nadal missed seven months might extend his career on the backside (no punishment on the body over that time away).
- Because of the injury, Rafa had to be more aggressive at Indian Wells, and he was!
- He does not know how to beat Rafa on clay!
- The knee was just average when the comeback began in Chile.
- Rafa struggled at Sao Paulo because of the conditions.
- Like Rafa, he does not agree with the ATP’s new enforcement of the time rule.
- He does not see Rafa as the favorite to win the French.
- He does not consider Federer among the group of favorites either.
- He could see Rafa winning 3-4 more Grand Slam depending on his knee.
- Says the retired Christophe Rochus was a jerk for speculating Rafa was doping.
- If coach Alex Corretja wants him for Spain’s Davis Cup relegation in September, he’ll play.
These notes were again taken via Google translation. So my apologies if they are not 100% accurate.
You Might Like:
Fedal Wars: Uncle Toni Admits There’s No Debate Federer’s Better Than Nadal, But Djokovic Also?
Stanislas Wawrinka Calls Out Uncle Toni For Coaching Rafa Before Every Point Yesterday!
Uncle Toni Leaves Door Open For A New Super Coach Next Year For Rafa
Uncle Toni: The Plan Is For Rafa To Return In Toronto
Uncle Toni Nadal: Rafa’s Body Isn’t That Great, Ferrer’s Is Better!