Juan Martin Del Potro may have reached his first career Wimbledon quarterfinal today, but the outlook isn’t positive. During a third round win over Greg Zemlja Del Potro took a nasty spill Saturday in the third set injuring his left knee and ankle in the process.
Today, after beating Andreas Seppi in straight sets the 24-year-old former US Open champion offered an update the health of his lower leg.
“The ankle is good and the knee is not good,” Del Potro said today. “But I’m allowed to play. Still bother me in the left outside of the knee.
“I couldn’t extend 100% the knee. And the tapes for today help me to be careful in some movements. But is not enough. But I have one day and a half until my next match, and I will do all the treatments to see if I can be better.”
Even with the bad knee Del Potro didn’t struggle at all today beating the Italian veteran 64, 76, 63.
Del Potro will meet David Ferrer on Wednesday in the quarterfinals. The Spanish No. 1 has beaten Del Potro is six of eight meetings including an easy win the Wimbledon round of 16 last year.
“I’m so happy to be in the quarterfinals for the first time here in Wimbledon. I’m improving playing on grass; I like it a lot,” Del Potro said. “It’s going to be difficult against Ferrer, but I’m very excited to play him. He’s playing fantastic this season; he will be No. 3 in the world. I think he’s the favorite, but I like to play this match on the grass. If my knee is OK, I think it will be a good match.”
You Might Like:
Juan Martin Del Potro: My Left Knee Is A “Constant Bother”, But I Try Not To Think About It
Juan Martin Del Potro: I Will Need To Be 110% To Beat Novak, But I Am Excited To Play Him [Video]
It’s Not Looking Like Juan Martin Del Potro Will Play The French Open
Juan Martin Del Potro Presser: “I Had Opportunities. I Missed Them. When He Had Opportunities He Won”
Juan Martin Del Potro Confirms Australian Open Withdrawal