Today marks the ten year anniversary of the Roger Federer-Rafael Nadal rivalry. Then just 17, Nadal beat the then 2-time Slam winner Federer 63, 63 in the third round of Miami.
“It was a tough tournament,” said Federer looking back at the player he knew little about. “I came off of sunstroke in Indian Wells after beating Henman in the finals. I was in bed for four or five days, and then came here.”
“He played great and I was impressed with what I saw,” he added. “Everybody thought he was just a clay courter, and he proved that he was probably going to be more than just that,” the Swiss added. “He went on to have this great career that many expected him to have.”
Nadal has continued his reign over Roger now leading the Swiss 23-10 in their long history. Their most recent meeting came in January also won by Nadal.
The Federer-Nadal rivalry numbers:
Overall: Nadal leads 23-10
All finals: Nadal leads 14–6
Grand Slam matches: Nadal leads 9–2
Australian Open: Nadal leads 3–0
French Open: Nadal leads 5–0
Wimbledon: Federer leads 2–1
Grand Slam finals: Nadal leads 6–2
Clay courts: Nadal leads 13–2
Hard courts: Nadal leads 9–6
Indoor: Federer leads 4–1
Grass courts: Federer leads 2–1
Best of five set matches: Nadal leads 12–3
* Only pair in Open Era history to have met 8 times in Grand Slam finals
* Only pair in Open Era history to have met 4 times in finals at one Slam (at the French Open)
* Record of 5 matches played against each other at the French Open (shared with Djokovic-Nadal rivalry)
* Record of 20 finals played against each other on the ATP tour
* Record of 10 finals played against each other in Masters 1000 (shared with Djokovic-Nadal rivalry)
* This rivalry is ranked seventh in terms of matches played.
* Record of most Grand Slam matches played (tied with Djokovic-Nadal and Federer-Djokovic)
Also Check Out:
Fedal Wars: Nadal Well Ahead Of Federer In Masters Titles, But Does It Matter In The GOAT Discussion?
Fedal Wars: In The GOAT Debate, Are Nadal Fans Rooting Against Federer To Win His First Davis Cup?
Roger v Rafa Fandom: The Fedal Wars Rage On
Fedal Wars: Agassi Puts Nadal Ahead Of Federer On The GOAT List, Is He Right?
Today Is The 10-Year Anniversary Of Roger Federer First Becoming No. 1