A few days after bowing out of the Monte Carlo Masters semifinals to Roger Federer with an ailing right wrist, Novak Djokovic has put worried fans at ease by announcing today that not only is his wrist injury not as bad as some feared, but he’ll be returning in two weeks to play Madrid.
“Fortunately, the situation with the injury is better than it first seemed. Doctors assured me that I will be ready for Madrid, then Rome and Roland Garros, just as it has been planned. However, I need to continue with the recovery process and full medical treatments. It means I will have to take a short break in order to recover as soon as possible,” Novak said on his website.
Djokovic said he first felt plain in his right wrist two weeks ago. He said it was likely due to the transition from hardcourt to clay using different ball and that playing last week in the heavy, wet conditions at Monte Carlo Thursday night against Guillermo Garcia-Lopez aggravated the injury.
Djokovic was the defending champion at Monte Carlo and he had won four straight Masters 1000 events. Madrid begins on May 4.
You Might Like:
Novak Djokovic Withdraws From Madrid Due To Right Wrist Injury
Novak Djokovic: “I Feel Confident In The State Of My Wrist”
Rafael Nadal Wasn’t Happy With The Court Yesterday In Rio, And His Wrist Still Isn’t Right
Novak Djokovic Officially Withdraws From Madrid
Rafael Nadal Ready For Final Push, Admits Right Wrist Still Isn’t 100%