According to Australian press, rising star Ash Barty has decided to hang up the racquet for an indefinite amount of time.
Linda Pearce writes for the Age, “Australia’s most talented young female tennis player, Ashleigh Barty, will take an indefinite break from the game. The 2011 junior Wimbledon champion confirmed her open-ended hiatus via a statement on Friday that offered no hint of when – or if – the Queenslander would return.”
In a statement, Barty said, “Since returning from the US Open my team and I have decided that right now it is best for me to take a break from professional tennis. Obviously this has been a very difficult decision with the Australian Summer coming up but after a lot of thought we feel this is the right decision. I’ve enjoyed some incredible experiences on the tennis tour and would like to thank my coach, Jason, and the team at TA for all of its hard work and support throughout my journey so far. I will be following results closely and hope that the Aussies have a great summer and start to 2015.”
The 18-year-old Barty currently ranks No. 216, off her high of No. 129 just one year ago. Barty most recently qualified at the US Open but lost in the first round to Barbora Zahlavova Strycova.
Barty won the 2011 Wimbledon juniors at 15. She and countrywoman Casey Dellacqua made three Grand Slam doubles finals last year.
“All of us in the tennis family fully support Ash’s decision to take a break from professional tennis at this time, and we wish her all the very best,” said Tennis Australia CEO Craig Tiley.
You Might Like:
Barty Ends Losing Streak to Lift Nottingham Trophy on Grass at WTA Nature Valley Open
Barty Wins WTA Kuala Lumpur from Outside Top 150
Garcia Tops Barty in Rising Star Final at WTA Wuhan
Kvitova Wastes No Time Back with WTA Birmingham Grass Title
Kvitova Bests Barty In Sydney Thriller