Rafael Nadal’s 2014 season is over. In his final match of the year Nadal lost to 17-year-old teen Borna Coric 6-2, 7-6 in the quarterfinals at Basel.
After the shock defeat Nadal confirmed that he will undergo surgery for his appendicitis on Monday, November 3. The procedure will force him the miss the Paris Indoors and the ATP Finals in London, two events he’s never won.
“I have maximum respect for both tournaments,” Nadal said. “I love the city of Paris and the people who work there. London is a fantastic tournament with great fans, so it wasn’t an easy decision for me.
“If I don’t have a chance to win, I’m better to let my body try to recover,” Nadal said. “I accept [that] and I know [that] I have to be better for the beginning of 2015, and the only way to be better is to work on my health. Without health, you cannot work.”
“I’m not going to Paris and London – I’m not competitive enough,” said Nadal. “I am going to have surgery on 3 November.”
Nadal wanted to have surgery post Shanghai, but the doctors said the antibiotics needed more time to work before the surgery.
After finishing No. 1 last year, 2014 was a downer by the lofty standards of Nadal who suffered frustrating back, wrist and now appendix issues.
Rafa ends the year with four titles including the French Open, his most recent win. He’s expected to return to tennis at Abu Dhabi, then Doha and then the Australian Open.
You Might Like:
Rafael Nadal Withdraws From Paris For “Personal Reasons”, Will He Have Appendix Surgery Next Week?
Report: Rafael Nadal Will Have Surgery After Paris, Will Not Play In London Finals [Video]
Poll: Should Rafael Nadal Have His Appendix Removed?
Rafael Nadal: I Have To Do The Surgery, So Right Now I Don’t Know If I’ll Be In London [Video]
Rafael Nadal To Undergo Surgery To Remove Appendix Today