Del Potro, Monfils And Goffin Withdraw From Indian Wells
by Tom Gainey | March 9th, 2015, 3:25 pm
  • 11 Comments

A trio of men withdrew from this week’s Indian Wells Masters on Monday. Injury-riddled Juan Martin del Potro returned his wildcard back to the tournament where he reached the finals in 2013 as the Argentine’s ailing left wrist is still not ready.

The tournament announced that rising star Thanasi Kokkinakis will take del Potro’s available wildcard.

Gael Monfils and David Goffin, who both played Davis Cup over the weekend, also withdrew. Monfils cited a knee injury while the Goffin who won the fifth rubber for Belgium yesterday is out with a bad rib.

“I felt a slight pain on my rib during my Davis Cup match, so I decided to withdraw from the Indian Wells tournament to cure myself,” Goffin wrote on Facebook. “I will be back to competition in Miami where I will be 100% physically.”

Last week, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Petra Kvitova announced their withdrawals from the first Masters 1000 event of the season.

While players have withdrawn, several are expected to make their 2015 debuts including Marin Cilic, Jack Sock, Tommy Haas and Laura Robson.

The Indian Wells women’s draw will be released at 6pm ET today. The men’s draw will be made at 6pm Tuesday.


You Might Like:
Sadly, Here’s Who Won’t Be At Indian Wells
Roger Federer to Withdraw From Indian Wells?
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Petra Kvitova Withdraw From Indian Wells
Serena Williams Pulls Out Of Indian Wells And Miami
Rafael Nadal Escapes, Stan Wawrinka Doesn’t at Indian Wells; Monfils-Raonic Thursday

Don't miss any tennis action, stay connected with Tennis-X

Get the FREE TX daily newsletter

11 Comments for Del Potro, Monfils And Goffin Withdraw From Indian Wells

Hippy Chick Says:

Sorry about Goffin and Monflis,but there was never any cast iron certainty that Delpo would be competeing anyway,so not that surprised about his withdrawal,not that you can call it that when the guy aint played hardly this year?….


Okiegal Says:

This doesn’t sound good for DelPo…..I’m sorry to say. His wrist is not healing. I don’t see how it would if he continues with the hard hitting. It will never be OK, imo. This is so sad for him. But in all reality, how will it be possible for him to change his playing style? Knocking the cover off the ball is what he does best. Hope something can help him, but atm it’s looking dismal.


RZ Says:

What a shame. I would have liked to see all the players who withdrew out at IW.

I think I’ve jinxed David Goffin with injury woes. I put him in my year-end top 10 in the Tennis-X challenge based on his results at the end of last year. Since I did that, he’s been plagued by injury.


Okiegal Says:

@RZ…….You better shape up. With friends like you, who needs enemies!! Lol. Kidding of course. I just hate it when injuries interfere with these players careers. It’s a real bummer!! :(


chris ford1 Says:

Hope we see Delpo helping field a strong DC squad against Novak and the Serbs. Will be a week after Wimbledon, Jul 7-9. I root for Nole and Zim and Viktor because I think those guys were robbed in 2013 by the Tipsarevic injury and the unfairly long suspension Troicki suffered.
Had Viktor or Janko been there, if would have been 50-50 in the Finals with the Czechs.

But at the same time, who hates Juan Martin? Anyone?? Argentina has never won DC, but they have been doing it since 1923 and have some great players over the years.
Yes, lots of talk about Andy and the Brits. How it’s been since 1936 for the UK to win DC…..but Argentina has waited longer for the dream.
And on paper, they could have a top team. Delpo, Monaco, Mayer maybe, Delbonis, a good doubles squad.


Hippy Chick Says:

I wonder if theres any news on Rafa and Roger,or the Spanish and Swiss DC teams??


Max Says:

Um, you need to do a better job managing your news feed. The item about Federer withdrawing from Indian Wells is from 2010, yet it’s mixed in with all the current news!


Aarontennis Says:

I am happy that Tommy Haas and Jack Sock are returning and hope that they stay injury free. I am the least optimistic about Del Potro. I think that he needs to sit out at least another six months without hitting a ball. It kind of reminds me of Tommy Haas’ original shoulder injury in the early 2000s. He eventually was able to hit without pain after he sort of game up tennis for awhile and fell off the map. Del Potro might want to plan on a 2016 comeback.


RZ Says:

@Aarontennis – I read a tweet yesterday that Tommy Haas has pulled out of IW. :-( I was looking forward to his return too.


Markus Says:

Sad to think that we’ll never see again the del Potro that won the 2009 US Open or the del Potro that gave the top 3 guys a run for their money. I hope he had his wrists insured. I wonder if the top tennis guys have insurance against sports injuries. Anthony Kim (golf) stands to get more than $10M if he never plays professional golf again.


sienna Says:

what comments are these. Delpo must stop hitting hard!

We know one thing and that is when he stops hitting as hard as hè does then he is finished as a toplevel professional player.
he will not make top 30 if he eases in his groundstrokes. Besides that his window is closing.

Top story: Rafael Nadal Withdraws From China Events, Novak Djokovic In Prime Position For No. 1
Most Recent story: Maria Sharapova's 2018 Season Is Over