With the Rio Olympics still many months away, Rafael Nadal is among the very first superstar athletes to visit Rio which has been the focus of the Zika outbreak.
Nadal, though, isn’t concerned.
“I’m doing the things the people have told me. I’m going out at night. I’m not scared. I’m not worried about this. If it happens, it’s bad luck,” Nadal told the press Sunday.
Nadal won the title in 2014 and lost in the semifinals last year.
“I came to Rio because I always had good results here,” Nadal said. “My first time I ended as champion and last year I made the semifinals. I’m very happy to be here in Rio and willing to play my first match now.”
Last week he fell the 22-yaer-old Dominic Thiem in the Buenos Aires semifinals.
“Thiem is a player who has great potential. He is a player that if he can maintain the level and keep improving a Little, he is a candidate to do great things. We must congratulate him for the great week in Buenos Aires.”
Tonight, Nadal faces countryman Pablo Carreno Busta.
No. seed David Ferrer and No. 3 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga are also in action today.
You Might Like:
Novak Djokovic: Cancelling The Olympics Is Unthinkable!
Petra Kvitova Was Diagnosed With Mono A Week Ago
Rafael Nadal Says His Serve Is Not 100% Because He’s Scared About His Back
Rafael Nadal Apparently Has A Stomach Virus Prompting Speculation If He’ll Play Shanghai
Stomach Virus Forces Rafael Nadal Out Of Abu Dhabi