Rafael Nadal’s return from a hip injury has been delayed. The star was to play this week in Acapulco but the hip injury he sustained at the Australian Open hasn’t fully healed forcing him out of the event yesterday.
“I believe that all the necessary cares had been taken, I arrived to Cozumel to work on my adaptation, but yesterday in the last training before starting the tournament,” Nadal said Tuesday. “I noticed a puncture in the same area of the problem I had in Australia, today in the morning I went to the resonance, I do not know what it is yet, but it is in a similar line to what happened in Australia, maybe it is a minor situation but the reality is that it is not clear yet and until it goes down a bit and the tests are done, it will not have the exact diagnose. The doctors told me that I cannot play because there is a risk of increasing the injury.
“I’m sorry for me, I’m the most affected, then I feel sorry for the tournament and the fans, I appreciate your love, I know that it’s a difficult news but I had to communicate it this morning, and even though I’m not there, I know this is going to be a success”, Nadal added.
Nadal hopes to play at Indian Wells and Miami next month. The news is a boom for Roger Federer’s hopes of staying No. 1 a little longer, though the Swiss has made no indication he will play the clay season.
You Might Like:
Rafael Nadal’s Leg Injury Not Serious, Will Return For Acapulco
David Ferrer’s Status For March Is Uncertain After Suffering A Groin Injury In Acapulco
Rafael Nadal Avoids The Hardcourts, Will Play Acapulco Clay In February
Wang Outlasts Kenin For Maiden WTA Title In Acapulco
Novak Djokovic v Juan Martin Del Potro Tonight In Acapulco