Jenson Brooksby Bio
- Named after Formula One driver 'Jenson Button'. Father raced for fun and is an avid fan
- . Nickname is J.T. (middle name is Tyler)
- . Father, Glen, is an anesthesiologist; mother, Tania
- . Began playing tennis at age four, hitting a soft tennis ball against garage door while waiting for his parents to take him to school
- . Intended to play college tennis at Baylor University, but turned pro after missing entire 2020 season due to toe injury
- . Self-described 'physical player', with an aggressive and fiery approach on the court: "I definitely have the fire out there and stay really focused, but off the court I'm more laid back."
- Tennis inspiration is Rafael Nadal: "His mentality and consistency is just so amazing for me to see. And how he's done that for so long. I love the intensity and discipline he brings every time."
- Biggest influence is coach Joseph Gilbert, director of the JMG Academy in Sacramento: "He knows me as a person and has guided me from when I was seven years old. My parents actually used to have lessons with him long before me. He used to only coach adults but my mom and dad asked him if he would try teaching me. He said 'yes' and here we are 13 years later. I think it's a cool story that I've been with him for so long."
- Missed 14 months due to arm and turf toe injuries after winning his first tour-level match (d. Tomas Berdych) at the 2019 US Open. Was in a boot for nine weeks.
- Motivation: "I just love the individual aspect of competing, rather than a team sport. It's completely up to you, whether you win or lose and you have to trust yourself out there. You have a team around you, but there's no teammates. Once you get to the matches, it's all on you."
- If he could steal one shot from another player it would be Novak Djokovic's return
- . Passion for the piano, having started playing at age 9. Says it is a relaxing and fun skill to have, being able to read music and play your own notes.
Return to > Players > J > Jenson Brooksby Profile (Biography)