Biographical information from WTA. Unless noted otherwise all data as of year-end 2013.
- Coached by Sven Groeneveld
- Father is Yuri; mother is Yelena
- Started playing at age 4; at age 6 took part in Moscow exhibition that featured Martina Navratilova; began training at Bollettieri Academy at age 9 (required two-year separation from mother due to visa restrictions and finances)
- Has become a major force in the business world with a series of very successful ventures: a Nike apparel collection (currently being worn by other WTA players such as Arvidsson, Benesova, Bouchard, Hlavackova, Keys and Pivovarova); a line at Cole Haan (Maria Sharapova by Cole Haan); and Sugarpova, a candy line launched in 2012 (www.sugarpova.com)
- Has given a lot of time and money to charity, including the Maria Sharapova Foundation and her work as a Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations Development Programme, donating over $100,000 to Gomel area of Belarus affected by Chernobyl nuclear reactor disaster from 1986, and launching a $210,000 scholarship program for students from Chernobyl area; also donated value of Porsche Cayenne she won at 2004 WTA Championships (approximately US$56,300) to those affected by school hostage crisis in Beslan
- Favorite foods are Russian and Thai cuisine; favorite dessert is French cr
Return to > Players > M > Maria Sharapova Profile (Biography) (Quotes) (Maria Sharapova Pictures)