Biographical information from ATP. Unless noted otherwise all data as of year-end 2011.
- Began playing tennis at age eight
- Mother, Lynette, is South African and father, Robert, is Swiss and they met on a business trip (they both worked for a pharmaceutical company)
- Has one sister Diana, who is two years older
- Idol growing up was Boris Becker and favorite player was Pete Sampras
- Compiled outstanding junior results, finishing as No. 1 junior in the world in 1998
- Won Wimbledon junior singles (d. Labadze) and doubles titles (w/O. Rochus) that year
- One of four players (Edberg, Cash, Borg) to win junior and men’s title at Wimbledon
- Also reached final at US Open (l. to Nalbandian) and SF at Australian Open in ‘98
- Closed junior career with title at Orange Bowl in Miami (d. Coria).
Enjoys sitting on the beach, playing cards and table tennis, is a fervent fan of hometown soccer team FC Basel
- Has a flair for aesthetics and class
- In 2003, initiated Roger Federer Foundation which supports disadvantaged children in South Africa and promotes sport for young people
- Enjoys being an ambassador for global promotion of tennis and is inspired by the cultural diversity of the world
- Donated several autographed items to various fundraising auctions and made a personal donation to tsunami relief efforts in January 2005
- In addition, helped organize All-Star Rally for Relief, an exhibition event in Indian Wells, Calif., with proceeds to benefit UNICEF’s tsunami efforts.
In March 2005, he made a surprise visit to children in townships near Port Elizabeth, South Africa and in November 2005, his parents opened a multipurpose sports site that consists of two tennis courts, a basketball and netball court as well as a football ground in small municipality of Zwide
- In September 2005, autographed racquet used in US Open final to ATP’s TennisKatrina.com on-line auction for the American Red Cross’ Hurricane Katrina relief efforts and it fetched a winning bid of $25,665
- In November 2004, was on hand at United Nations in New York to announce 2005 as “International Year of Sport and Physical Education” with U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan
- In April 2006, named UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador.
Carried Swiss flag in opening ceremonies of Athens Olympics in 2004 and Beijing Olympics in 2008 (on his birthday)
- Named ATP Player of Year and earned Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship award from 2004-08 and ATPWorldTour.com fans’ favorite from 2003-10
- I.T.W.A. Player of the Year and Ambassador for Tennis award winner in 2004-06
- Named 2003 "Swiss of the Year" by his country’s TV audience
- Won Laureus World Sportsman of Year from 2004-07
- Close friend of Vogue Editor-In-Chief Anna Wintour
- She has attended his matches at Wimbledon and the US Open and he accompanied her to Fashion Week in New York City following 2006 US Open
- Named GQ’s "International Man of the Year" for 2005 in Germany
- Speaks English, German, Swiss German, French and some Swedish and Italian
- Fitness trainer is Pierre Paganini
- Golf superstar Tiger Woods attended ’06 US Open final and both athletes met for first time.
Received 2006 Arthur Ashe Humanitarian of Year award and named 2006-07 BBC Sports Overseas Personality of Year (also in '04)
- In October 2007, voted No. 30 in a list of "the 100 most influential people in the world of sports" in BusinessWeek Magazine in U.S. (one of six athletes in Top 30)
- Named in Time Magazine's "100 Most Influential People in World" in May 14, 2007 issue
- Recipient of U.S. Academy Outstanding Athlete in 2005-06 presented by USA Today and MSNBC (voted by fans)
- Had a stamp of him released by Swiss Post on April 10, 2007 in his birthplace of Basel.
Elected to ATP Player Council in June 2008, serving as President
- Wife, Mirka (Vavrinec) is a former WTA Tour player and they met at 2000 Sydney Olympic Games
- They married on Apr. 11, 2009 in Basel
- Twin daughters, Charlene Riva and Myla Rose (born July 23, 2009)
In 2011 received Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award for the seventh time and selected as ATPWorldTour.com Fans’ Favourite presented by RICOH for a record ninth consecutive year.Coached by former ATP pro and Pete Sampras mentor Paul Annacone (since September 2010) and also works with Swiss Davis Cup captain Severin Luthi (since 2008)…Physiotherapist is former ATP World Tour trainer Stephane Vivier (since October 2009), and fitness trainer is Pierre Paganini.
Return to > Players > R > Roger Federer Profile (Biography) (Quotes) (Roger Federer Pictures)