Biographical information from ATP. Unless noted otherwise all data as of year-end 2013.
- Full name is Rafael Nadal Parera
- Nicknamed "Rafa"
- Plays left-handed but writes right-handed
- Began playing tennis at age four with his uncle Toni, who is his long-time coach
- Used to play with two-handed forehand and backhand before his uncle made him change at age nine or 10 to a one-handed forehand
- Played his only junior Grand Slam event at Wimbledon in 2002 and reached SF
- Father, Sebastian, is a business partner with two brothers of a restaurant, Sa Punta, and owner of a glass and windows company, Vidres Mallorca
- Mother, Ana Maria
- Has one younger sister Maria Isabel
- Comes from same island (Mallorca) as countryman Carlos Moya
- The city of Manacor is second-biggest on island of Mallorca
- His other uncle, Miguel Angel Nadal, is a former professional football player with stints at FC Barcelona, Real Mallorca and Spanish national team, which competed in 2002 World Cup
- Also played on two other World Cup teams in 1994 and '98
- Earned ATP Newcomer of Year in 2003, ATP Most Improved Player of Year in 2005, ATP Player of Year in 2008, 2010 and 2013, and ATP Comeback Player of Year in 2013
- Reached Spanish Championships in July 2003 (l. to Lopez)
- Won Prince of Asturias award in 2008, named for Spain's Crown Prince Felipe
- In October 2010, opened the Rafael Nadal Tennis School in Anantpur, India, which hosts district, state and national-level tournaments, as well as lay equal emphasis on the children's education and tennis training
- Received 2011 Arthur Ashe Humanitarian of the Year for his contributions through the Rafa Nadal Foundation
- Coached by his uncle, Toni Nadal, and fitness trainer is Rafael Maymo. When Bjorn Borg won his sixth Roland Garros title in 1981, many believed his record would endure the test of time. “Nobody ever thought that anyone would ever come close to beating that record,” admitted Michael Chang, the 1989 champion. But in 2012, Rafael Nadal proved himself a class apart from the clay-court greats as he lifted the Roland Garros trophy for the seventh time.
Return to > Players > R > Rafael Nadal Profile (Biography) (Quotes) (Rafael Nadal Pictures)