Biographical information from ATP. Unless noted otherwise all data as of year-end 2011.
- Full name is Rafael Nadal Parera
- Nicknamed "Rafa"
- Plays left-handed but writes right-handed
- Began playing tennis at age four with his uncle Toni, who is his long-time coach
- Used to play with two-handed forehand and backhand before his uncle made him change at age nine or 10 to a one-handed forehand
- Played his only junior Grand Slam event at Wimbledon in 2002 and reached SF
Father, Sebastian, is a business partner with two brothers of a restaurant, Sa Punta, and owner of a glass and windows company, Vidres Mallorca
- Mother, Ana Maria
- Has one younger sister Maria Isabel
- Comes from same island (Mallorca) as countryman Carlos Moya
- The city of Manacor is second-biggest on island of Mallorca
- His other uncle, Miguel Angel Nadal, is a former professional soccer player with stints at FC Barcelona, Real Mallorca and Spanish national team, which competed in 2002 World Cup
- Also played on two other World Cup teams in 1994 and ’98
- Earned ATP Newcomer of Year in 2003, ATP Most Improved Player of Year in 2005 and ATP Player of Year in 2008
- Reached Spanish Championships in July 2003 (l. to Lopez)
- Won Prince of Asturias award in 2008, named for Spain's Crown Prince Felipe
- In October 2010, opened the Rafael Nadal Tennis School in Anantpur, India, which hosts district, state and national-level tournaments, as well as lay equal emphasis on the children’s education and tennis training
- Received 2011 Arthur Ashe Humanitarian of the Year for his contributions through the Rafa Nadal Foundation
- Coached by his uncle Toni Nadal and fitness trainer is Rafael Maymo.
Return to > Players > R > Rafael Nadal Profile (Biography) (Quotes) (Rafael Nadal Pictures)