Stefanos Tsitsipas Bio
- • Began playing tennis at age 3.
- • Speaks Greek, Russian and English. Eager to learn Chinese and Spanish.
- • Father, Apostolos, is his coach; mother, Julia Salnikova, is an ex-pro and was his 1st coach. Parents met when Julia played and Apostolos officiated at a WTA event in Athens.
- • Younger siblings Petros, Pavlos and Elisavet all play tennis.
> Grandfather, Sergei, was 1956 Olympic gold medallist in football.
- • Paid tribute to his grandmother, Stavroula, who passed away prior to his appearance in 2021 Roland Garros final.
- • Aunt sponsored his career as a junior after his father quit his job to travel with him.
- • Nearly drowned while swimming in 2015. Saved by his father and says incident changed his life.
- • Favourite surface is grass, shot is forehand and tournament is Wimbledon.
- • Shares birthday with former World No. 1 Pete Sampras, who is also of Greek origin.
- • Named 2018 ATP Most Improved Player of the Year.
- • Hobbies are travelling with friends, photography, video editing and anything creative.
- • Enjoys video blogging on YouTube. Produces his own podcast, "A Greek Abroad."
- • Supports Milwaukee Bucks (NBA) and their star player, fellow Greek Giannis Antetokounmpo.
- • Also a fan of AEK basketball and football teams.
- • Ambassador for "Mazi gia to Paidi," a Greek organisation that helps underprivileged children.
- • During COVID-19 pandemic, launched Beyond 100 Support auction with all money raised going towards ATP Player Relief Programme.
- • "I have huge belief that I’m capable of winning not just one Grand Slam, but many of them," he said in May 2021. "It’s just a matter of time.”
- • Underwent right elbow surgery in November 2021.
Biographical information from ATP. Information might not be up to date.
Return to > Players > S > Stefanos Tsitsipas Profile (Biography) (Stefanos Tsitsipas Pictures)