Struggling Rafael Nadal opted to cut his post-Wimbledon vacation short by getting some more tennis in. And this week he took a wildcard into Hamburg to play clay during the summer for the first time since 2007.
“My body asked me to be playing and I am here,” Nadal said of his appearance. “And this is a tournament that I have positive memories of.”
With just two titles on the season and a poor Grand Slam run in three events, Nadal finds himself ranked at No. 10 and at 29 doubts mount whether the Spaniard can get back to the top of the game.
“I did the right things to be ready (for Wimbledon),” Nadal said of Wimbledon. “I played bad in that match, I was not competitive to get through, I lost. Just accept all the things that happen in sport.
“The last six months I have been losing a little more than what I have been used to the last 11 years. So I just accept the new situations with the right attitude and keep working to try to be at a good level again. It’s been a tough one, obviously, but life continues.”
Nadal will also be in the doubles draw with 18-year-old Mallorcan Jaume Munar on Monday. Nadal called Munar one of the best juniors of the world and one of the young stars of Spain.
In the singles, Nadal opens against countryman Fernando Verdasco in the first round.
“I feel good. I don’t have any injuries and that is the important thing.”
Earlier in the month, Nadal’s uncle Toni addressed the cries for a coaching change:
— Sandy (@nycsandygirl) July 14, 2015
You Might Like:
Roger Federer Gets Mobbed In Shanghai, Except That’s NOT Roger Federer! [Video]
Rafael Nadal Just Got Waxed At Madame Tussauds [Video]
Victoria Azarenka Get’s Ridiculous In Boyfriend Redfoo’s New Music Video
Watch Sloane Stephens Risk Life And Limb – She Got Knives Thrown At Her! [Video]
Novak Djokovic Discusses His Life Story On Italian TV [Video]