Juan Martin del Potro announced that he has officially withdrawn from the US Open. The Argentine has been sidelined since January with a right wrist injury which required surgery on May 4.
“I feel extremely sad to announce that I will not to be able to defend my US Open title,” said the 21-year-old del Potro who beat Roger Federer last year in five sets at Flushing Meadows. “Winning in New York last year has been my major accomplishment in tennis and my best memory so far. I am so sorry for my fans, my sponsors and all the people that care about me, but I have only started practising in the last two weeks and unfortunately I cannot compete at the top level yet. I look forward to returning to New York in 2011 and wish all the best to the tournament organizers and my fellow players.”
An injury cloud also hangs over women’s defending champion Kim Clijsters who injured her left hip yesterday in a loss to Vera Zvonareva in Montreal.
“Don’t worry, there’s no doubt in my mind (I will be at the U.S. Open),” Clijsters told reporters. “Maybe I will have to take precautions but a lot of girls these day play with tape to protect themselves.”
Clijsters says he will have an MRI done to confirm there is nothing serious.
The US Open has already been stung by withdrawals from two-time champion Serena Williams (foot), Justine Henin (elbow), Tommy Haas (shoulder), Ivo Karlovic (achilles), Mario Ancic and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (knee).
American John Isner (ankle), Venus Williams (knee), Maria Sharapova (ankle), and Ana Ivanovic (ankle) are also hobbled.
The US Open begins Monday, August 30. The main draw will be announced next Thursday.
Also Check Out:
Del Potro Withdraws From Estoril
Juan Martin Del Potro Withdraws From Indian Wells: My Left Wrist Is Still Hurting A Lot
Del Potro Withdraws from Shanghai
ATP Injuries Mount: Juan Martin Del Potro Withdraws From Paris
Cilic Withdraws From Brisbane, Del Potro Might Follow; Australian Open In Doubt For Both?