The ATP World Tour announced to day that Nick Kyrgios has been fined $25,000 for tanking his second-round match at the Masters Shanghai event, and is suspended from ATP events for eight weeks under the rule ‘Conduct Contrary to the Integrity of the Game.’
However, the ATP says, “the suspension will be reduced to three tournament weeks upon agreement that the player enters a plan of care under the direction of a Sports Psychologist, or an equivalent plan approved by ATP, meaning Kyrgios could regain eligibility to compete on the ATP World Tour or Challenger Tour from Monday 7 November, 2016.”
Kyrgios had already been fined a total of US$ 16,500 for breaches of the ATP Code of Conduct by the ATP Supervisors on-site in Shanghai. He received the on-site maximum fine of US$ 10,000 for violations of the Best Efforts provision in the Code, as well as a US$ 5,000 fine for Verbal Abuse of a Spectator, and a US$ 1,500 fine for Unsportsmanlike Conduct.
Kyrgios during that match bunted in serves and immediately started walking to the sideline before his opponent hit the ball, hit with his opposite hand, barely feigned interest in the match, and argued with the chair umpire who told him he was being unprofessional.
The ATP added, “Today’s announcement completes the ATP’s investigation into this matter which, following the conclusion of the on-site process, included further review of the match, as well as comments made during Kyrgios’ post-match press conference.”
You Might Like:
Nick Kyrgios: The Ban Has Put Me In Good Shape For 2017
Injury-Prone Murray Now “Psyched” at US Open
Does This Video Remind Anyone Of Nick Kyrgios? [Video]
Nick Kyrgios Says He’s Learned To Keep His Mouth Shut
Nick Kyrgios Says He And Bernard Tomic Are Not Bad Humans, Not Drug Dealers!