Rafael Nadal met the media today in Beijing, site of the China Open which begins on Sunday. Nadal, who hasn’t played a match since a stunning Wimbledon fourth round loss to Nick Kyrgios almost three months ago, says his right wrist still is not 100% but it’s doing better.
“I am fine,” said Nadal. “I am much better. The thing is the injury, the evolution of the injury, was a bit slow and took a little bit of time. But that’s it. I just feel the wrist a little bit when I am starting, when I start to play every day, but then it disappears. I’m in good conditions to compete again.”
Nadal, though, is focused on just getting back to playing tennis.
“My motivation is always high. I am coming here to Beijing for a big tournament,” Nadal added. “The best players are here. I try my best always. It’s not because I’m coming back from an injury. This part of the season has always been a little bit difficult for me, and will be for sure even more this year after stopping for three months at the middle of the season. That was really bad news for me.
“But the last part of the season remains. I am going to try to be ready for it. I don’t know in which condition I am going to be in, in terms of tennis, in these two tournaments, but I hope to practise and play as much as possible to be in rhythm again.”
With Novak Djokovic in the event, Nadal will not be the favorite to win in Beijing where he won the 2008 gold medal.
“Novak dominates, you know, almost all the tournaments,” Nadal said. “He’s one of the best players that I ever seen.”
Nadal won’t have much time to work himself into the tournament with a first round match against Richard Gasquet. Rafa will also play in doubles with Pablo Andujar. The Spaniards start with Tomas Berdych and John Isner.
“Beijing is always an important city in my career,” added Nadal. “I know I won in 2005. Last year I played the final here, became No. 1. I feel comfortable here. I like the tournament. I like the city. I feel comfortable here.”
Former US Open winners Marin Cilic and Andy Murray are also in the event along with Tomas Berdych and Ernests Gulbis who are both in Nadal’s half of the draw.
You Might Like:
Novak Djokovic: My Wrist Injury Isn’t That Bad, I Will Play Madrid!
Rafael Nadal Wasn’t Happy With The Court Yesterday In Rio, And His Wrist Still Isn’t Right
Juan Martin Del Potro Has Withdrawn From The US Open
Kei Nishikori 2017 Season Is Also Over Due To A Torn Tendon In His Right Wrist
UPDATE: Juan Martin Del Potro’s 2014 Season Is Over