Rafael Nadal’s second half to 2014 has begun under a dark cloud. Today the World No. 2 announced that a right wrist injury suffered yesterday in practice will prevent him from playing in upcoming title defenses in Canada (Toronto) and Cincinnati.
“Unfortunately I injured my right wrist yesterday during practice and after the tests I have undergone today in Spain, including an MRI, and checking with my doctors, I will have to stay out of competition for at least 2-3 weeks. I am sorry and wish the best to the tournament and thank all of the fans for their support,” said Nadal in a statement. “I’m extremely disappointed that I am unable to defend my titles and compete in Toronto and Cincinnati this year. I was looking forward to coming and playing again after my great results last year.”
Nadal is currently in Spain undergoing treatment for the injury which is said to be a “small detachment of posterior sheath of the right ulnar wrist”. He will be in a cast during his recovery.
Wrist injuries have plagued several top players already this year including Juan Martin del Potro, Novak Djokovic and Laura Robson. The right wrist is Nadal’s off hand, but he still uses it for the backhand.
The second-ranked Nadal is defending 4,000 ranking points this summer including the US Open title which begins in less than four weeks. He missed both events two summers ago to recover from a knee injury.
— Daniela Dolce (@dolce_daniela) July 31, 2014
Also Check Out:
Rafael Nadal’s Recovery From A Right Wrist Injury Is Apparently On Track [Video]
Poll: Will Rafael Nadal Play The US Open?
Rafael Nadal Will Decide Tuesday On The US Open [Video]
Li Na Withdraws From Summer Events Including US Open Due To Knee
Andy Murray: On Tuesday I’ll Decide If I Continue Playing The ATP Finals