The ATP hit tennis bad boy Nick Kyrgios with a $16,500 fine Thursday for his actions during a loss to Mischa Zverev a day earlier in Shanghai.
The ATP broke down the fine as follows:
$10,000 – Lack of best effort
$5,000 – Verbal abuse of a spectator
$1,500 – Unsportsmanlike conduct
For reaching the second round, Kyrgios made $35,845, so he loses just less than half of his Shanghai earnings. No suspension was announced.
“I just tapped out a little bit, I guess,” Kyrgios said of his effort.
“You want to buy a ticket? Come watch me. You know I’m unpredictable. It’s your choice. I don’t owe you anything. Doesn’t affect how I sleep at night.”
Andy Murray also weighed in on Kyrgios’s antics.
“You need to go out there and give your best effort of what you have on that day,” Murray said. “If he didn’t do that, then he will be disappointed with himself tonight. But, you know, we’re not perfect. You know, everyone makes mistakes. You just want to make sure that you learn from them and make sure it doesn’t happen over and over again.”
Kyrgios is scheduled to finish of 2016 playing in Basel and then Paris, but the 21-year-old isn’t sure of his plans.
You Might Like:
The ATP is Sending Nick Kyrgios to a Psychologist
Rafael Nadal: When Nick Kyrgios Tries, He’s One Of The Toughest Players On The Tour
Nick Kyrgios: The Ban Has Put Me In Good Shape For 2017
Roddick Launches Cash Attack on ATP, Handling of Davydenko Incident
8-Week Ban? Nick Kyrgios Got Off Easy