ATP, ITF Announce 6-Week Tennis Shutdown; No Miami Masters In 2020
by Staff | March 12th, 2020, 12:12 pm
  • 6 Comments

The ATP and ITF made it official earlier today announcing a six-week tennis tournament shutdown due to the spread of the Coronavirus.

This unprecedented move means at least Miami, Monte Carlo and many, many Challengers and ITF events will not take place as scheduled.

Lower ongoing tournaments will be suspended effective immediately.

“This is not a decision that was taken lightly and it represents a great loss for our tournaments, players, and fans worldwide,” new ATP head Andrea Gaudenzi said. “However we believe this is the responsible action needed at this time in order to protect the health and safety of our players, staff, the wider tennis community and general public health in the face of this global pandemic. The worldwide nature of our sport and the international travel required presents significant risks and challenges in today’s circumstances, as do the increasingly restrictive directives issued by local authorities. We continue to monitor this on a daily basis and we look forward to the Tour resuming when the situation improves. In the meantime, our thoughts and well-wishes are with all those that have been affected by the virus.”

Some tournaments may be rescheduled for later, but the Miami Masters will not take place this year.

The tour could return the week of April 27 in Munich and Estoril with Madrid and then Rome the two weeks thereafter. But that’s optimistic.

With players losing points, and unable to gain points, there is talk of some rankings modifications.

“The ATP is carefully reviewing the broad impact of this evolving situation related to FedEx ATP Rankings points, and any decisions will be announced in due course,” the statement said. “In addition, in full collaboration with the ITF, FedEx ATP Rankings points will not be available at any ITF World Tennis Tour events during the suspension period.”

The WTA is expected to announce a similar suspension.


You Might Like:
Miami Masters Set To Go On, But Will It?
Andy Murray Hopes To Return In Miami
Nadal, Djokovic Lead Rome Masters; King Of Clay Seeks 10th Title
Simona Halep Confirms US Open Withdrawal; Just 4 Of Top 10 Will Be In NYC
Novak Djokovic, Wife, Test Negative For Coronavirus

Don't miss any tennis action, stay connected with Tennis-X

Get the FREE TX daily newsletter

6 Comments for ATP, ITF Announce 6-Week Tennis Shutdown; No Miami Masters In 2020

Alexander Davis Says:

IMG is one of the worst companies in the world. They waited as much as possible and they canceled the Miami Open only because they were forced to by the Florida and ATP decisions. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have. It was obvious since last week-end that such cancellation was inevitable. We had a booth at a past tennis IMG event and it was an horrible experience: it was all about the money, the IMG officials weren’t interested by tennis and they didn’t care at all.


Tennis Vagabond Says:

No one else finds it suspicious that ROger pulls himself out of the next three months of tennis, and then along comes this virus to cancel the next two to three months of tennis?

Is this all to protect Federer’s ranking??


ahfi Says:

Yes, this is all to protect Federer’s ranking.


chrisford1 Says:

Man, is Roger important or what!!! He even had the Chinese come up with a virus and come up with a way to make it into global pandemic to keep his rankings!


Wog Boy Says:

CF1, those two posters are both fedfanatics, ignore them, they are trolling.


Ahfi Says:

Oh, just a joke. Federer is no magician.

Top story: Djokovic Reigns In Rome, Beats Schwartzman For Record 36th Masters Title
Most Recent story: Halep Wins First Rome Masters After Pliskova Retires