Novak Djokovic: I Keep My Expectations Low In Monte Carlo
Novak Djokovic met the press in his second home in Monte Carlo where the Monte Carlo Masters opens up Sunday.
The Serb has had a tough season by his standards with an 8-3 record and no titles and no finals. And he’s hasn’t won Monte Carlo since 2015. With that, he admits that expectations are low.
“My expectations are not very high, with the way I have been playing this year at the tournaments and also the results that I had in Monaco in previous years were not great, so I keep my expectations low,” Djokovic said. “For me, it is about building my game on clay courts and trying to reach the peak again.
“For some players like myself, it requires a little more time to reach the top level of tennis. Earlier in my career I was doing better in Monte Carlo. I won titles in 2013 and 2015, quite a long time ago. The last five or six editions here have not been that successful and I am always hoping that could change. I am going into the tournament with enthusiasm and excitement that I am here. I didn’t play in Miami, so had extra time to practice on clay and get my body and game adjusted to this surface so let’s see how it goes.”
Djokovic, though, has won his last seven matches on clay dating back to his big 2023 French Open title run.
Djokovic also further discussed his recent breakup with longtime coach Goran Ivanisevic.
“We just both felt that we gave each other in this relationship the maximum and it was time to move on. It is very simple,” Djokovic said. “He remains one of the most successful coaches in the history of the game, what we have done is something that can’t be deleted. The results and history speak for itself and he remains a good friend of me and my family.”
While Djokovic can’t lose his No. 1 ranking this upcoming week, it very well will be in jeopardy next month depending on results. Djokovic turns 37 in May.
You Might Like:
Federer Reverses Monte Carlo Decision, Will Take On Nadal
Del Potro Withdraws From Monte Carlo; Kyrgios, Gasquet Also Out
Jannik Sinner: I Feel More Comfortable On Hard Courts Than Clay
Novak Djokovic Opens Clay Season Tuesday At Monte Carlo Masters
Short On Confidence, Rafael Nadal Begins Clay Campaign In Monte Carlo [Video]




